Fall 2017 Application/Enrollment Timeline:
- Information Night for Applicants: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:00 - 7:30 PM College of Alameda F Building
- Application here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHftx5BVoOuRTBhb3cweVBKVEU
- Application Due Date & Time: 4pm Thursday January 26, 2017
- Applications must be submitted along with Residence Verification to the ASTI office, in person by a parent or guardian between 8:30am and 4pm Monday through Thursday.
- Lottery: February 16, 2017
- Notification of Enrollment Status: 1st week of March 2017
- Spring Orientation for New Families: April 27, 2017
- Mandatory New Student Orientation: First Week of August 2017
- ASTI Classes Start Earlier than AUSD: Second week of August 2017
As an Alameda Unified public school, ASTI is committed to serving the community of Alameda. Alameda residents will be given first priority in applying and all non-Alameda residents will be considered for enrollment should additional spots be available. ALL students – regardless of residence – must complete all application documents to be eligible for enrollment. Each year ASTI enrolls 50 students in the 9th grade class. Should more than 50 students apply and be eligible for enrollment, a lottery will be held to allocate positions in the freshman class and determine the order of the wait list. The lottery process will be differentiated by math level to ensure balanced class sizes. Alameda residents are given priority in the lottery; siblings of current ASTI students will be given preference within the lottery process, but are not guaranteed admission.
The waitlist will roll over into the 9th grade and start of 10th grade years, and as openings occur, positions will be offered to the next applicant on the list. ASTI does not accept transfer students for the 11th or 12th grade.
New for 2017-18!
We have made an exciting change to the ASTI program! Starting in 2017-18 we will offer Algebra 1 and Geometry for 9th graders. This increases the number of students who are eligible to apply for our program; 8th graders in Math 8, Algebra 1 and Geometry are all encouraged to apply.
Profile of a Successful ASTI Student:
While many different students have attended and been successful at ASTI, there are specific characteristics that all successful ASTI students usually share. Similarly, students who have come to ASTI who did not possess these characteristics have often struggled and, in some cases, have left the program early. While these characteristics are not selection criteria, we are providing these to help students and their families decide if ASTI is the right place for them. These characteristics include:
- Middle School GPA 3.0 or above
- Excellent attendance – no pattern of absences or tardies
- Passing grades – Minimal to no D’s and F’s on transcript
- CAASPP English & Math Scores Approaching, Met or Exceeded Standard
- No pattern of disciplinary problems
- Highly motivated – able to independently complete tasks and responsible for own learning
Bring Packets in Person to:
Alameda Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)
Located on the College of Alameda Campus on West Campus Drive